From:
[log in to unmask] (RICHARD P.F. HOLT)
Date:
I'm sorry to hear that NYU has dropped the requirement of History of
Economic Thought from its Ph.D. program, but it is a trend that has been
going on in both undergraduate and graduate programs. The unfortunate
part is that students don't learn how to appreciate and carry on scholarly
debate among individuals who hold different paradigms or views in most
economics courses. A HET class taught well and openly provide students
with an opportunity to appreciate different world-views and to develop
skills of how to carry out scholarly discussion that listens to others
and to question their own world-view. The opportunity cost of not having
classes like HET, in my opinion, is extremely high. I'm writing a paper
where I argue that Thomas Kuhn's book _The Structure of Scientific
Revolutions_ actually has caused a lot of harm by emphasizing paradigm
shifts instead of focusing on the importance of having a number of
equally important and viable paradigms existing simultaneously in a
particular discipline and having those in the discipline learning how
the area of knowledge in that discipline can grow because of this,
instead of just focusing of throwing out one paradigm and replacing
it with another.
-Ric Holt