Date:
Re John Davis' query:  I vote for opportunistic application of a
shell discourse (neat phrasing there, John) over natural product of
formalism.
     It's more problematic for me, as a historian, because more than
a few economists have discovered they can get away with a LOT in
terms of bluffing what economic theory is, since most historians have
very little training, and less understanding, about mainstream
economics today.
     So none of you have heard mainstream economists use this, eh?
That's interesting.  (I have, but only around economic historians or
historians.)
     How about using pareto optimality, or pareto superiority, as
the yardstick for social welfare?  Seems to me to conveniently
exclude initial endowments of wealth and/or power as issues in a
situation where they are very much issues.  And it might give a
local optimum, but can't possibly answer questions about POTENTIAL
welfare.
     Perhaps some of the language I'm hearing in economic history is
an extension of this line of reasoning.  (If no trade will make
anyone better off, social welfare is maximized.)
     -- Mary Schweitzer