From:
[log in to unmask] (F. El-Husseini)
Date:
==================== HES POSTING ====================

           Dear HESers,
                        I am an economics postgraduate student at Bristol
  University, currently in the first year of my PhD. My research is in the
  history of economics, and I am investigating Cournot's influence on some
  early British neoclassical/mathematical economists; Edgeworth and Pigou
  in particular. I was wondering if any of the list members might be
  able to help trace an "unpublished" note by C.P. Sanger that Pigou refers
  to in one of his articles.
        The article I refer to is called "The Known and the Unknown in Mr.
  Chamberlain's Policy" and was published in the "Fortnightly Review"
  (January, 1904). In a footnote (p. 44) of this article Pigou introduces a
  formula for working out the effect of a tariff on the equilibrium price of
  a commodity. The same footnote, with a few minor modifications, can also
  be found on pages 94-95 of Pigou's book "Protective and Preferential Import
  Duties". After defining his variables and giving the formulas (there are
  two formulas, although they are simply different ways of writing the same
  result and can be shown to be equivalent - Pigou, however, does not give
  any proofs) Pigou writes:

        "I have had the great advantage of reading an unpublished note
  upon this part of the subject by Mr. C.P. Sanger, of University College,
  London, though he is not, of course, responsible for any of the opinions
  here expressed"

  Does anyone know if this note by Sanger was ever published or if a copy
  of it exists either among Sanger's or Pigou's collected writings? I
  would be very grateful for any helpful suggestions.

                Yours sincerely

                Farid El-Husseini