From:
[log in to unmask] (Mary Morgan)
Date:
================== HES POSTING =======================

Opportunity for Junior Researcher/PhD Student

We seek a junior researcher/PhD student to join a successful team
working with Professor Mary Morgan at the Faculty of Economics,
University of Amsterdam on the history and philosophy of economics.
We have just been awarded a new 4-year position for our research
programme on concept formation and measurement in economics.  We
would like to hear direct from possible candidates, or from
professors who may know of likely candidates.

The specified project for the new researcher is titled: "Making
Economic Concepts Measurable: the Case of Consumption" and involves
investigating four different notions of "consumption" currently used
within economic science.  The focus of the research will be on
the way consumption has been conceptualized within theories at each
level and how associated measurement procedures have been
constructed.  The approach of the team, and for this project,
requires the use of both historical and philosophical techniques of
analysis.

The position is essentially a PhD studentship involving some course
work, some class teaching of undergraduate students, and undertaking
the outlined project as part of the research group.  The completed
research will be eligible for submission for a PhD degree.

The successful candidate should preferably have an economics
degree with some knowledge of history or philosophy of science.
(Alternatively a background in history/philosophy of science, with a
willingness to work on economics and with mathematical skills would
also be appropriate.)  The scholarship awarded is designed to cover
living expenses here in the Netherlands for the 4-year period (there
are no tuition fees).

Interested candidates should apply (letter and cv) as soon as
possible and especially before May 22nd to Adrienne van den Bogaard
at Faculty of Economics, University of Amsterdam, Roetersstraat 11,
1018 WB Amsterdam, The Netherlands; or faxed to Professor Mary Morgan at
-31-20-525-4254.  Please make it clear that you are applying for the
project "Making Economic Concepts Measurable - Scholarship vacancy 6".

Enquiries via email to [log in to unmask] or to [log in to unmask]