From:
[log in to unmask] (Tony Brewer)
Date:

On Tue, 04 Jul 1995 18:14:27 -0400 (EDT) Roderick Hay wrote:

> Could someone please explain the fine points of the old
British money
> system? I understand the basic Pounds, Shillings, Pence,
but do not
> understand Guineas and Crowns. I thought I did until I
read John Law
> talking about changing the number of shillings in a Crown.

The guinea and (later?) sovereign were gold, the shilling
silver. Newton, when master of the mint, changed the value
of the guinea from 21s 6d to 21s to reflect the changed
relative market values of gold and silver. Cantillon
commented on the issue (Higgs edition, p. 281). Up to the
eighteenth century, at least, silver was always regarded as
the standard, that is, the 'pound' (which was not a coin,
but a unit of account) was defined in terms of silver
shillings.
Tony Brewer, Bristol, [log in to unmask]