Date:
For the sake of argument, let's put aside the endogenous money/financial
innovation argument (what James Ahiakpor somewhat unfairly calls the 'thin
air' view) for a moment.  Because there is something else here that is
getting glossed over.

I said (something like): Banks seeking profits accommodate the demand for
credit by investors and thus underwrite production; new incomes are
generated, and savings rise, which are deposited in banks, replenishing
deposits which were depleted as well as creating new ones.

James said (something like): But the initial investment in your story had
to be financed by savings.

So why can't I reply?: Yeah, but where'd the savings come from?  It had to
result from some previous productive activity.

To which James could reply: Yes, which was financed by savings!

Me: Exactly! which resulted from productive activity!

J: Egg!

M: Chicken!

etc., etc.

This was the point I was trying to make when I refered to a circular
process.  Certainly there is no more support in what we have said so far
for arguing that savings is 'logically prior' to investment than there is
for the reverse proposition.

But is it merely a chicken and egg story?  I don't think so.

Because to say that the process entails circularity does not assign
identical weight or causal determination to all the variables.

For Keynes, the driving force is investment *demand*.  The demand for
finance requires that investors' expectations be such that they are ready
to act.  The mere existence of savings does not guarantee that investment
will actually take place.  But that savings will result from investment
(via changes in income) is reliable.

The conventional view is that the existence of savings will call forth
investment via variations in the rate of interest.  This may be the crux of
the matter: to what degree one believes that a) when S>I interest rates
fall and b) a fall in the rate of interest will result in new investment
demand that will soak up the excess savings.  If one puts their faith in
the neoclassical theory of interest rate determination and in the belief
that investment is interest- elastic, and abstracts from other factors such
as those Keynes emphasized, then you have your story.

For Keynes, capitalism is a demand constrained system.  This means that it
can also be a demand-led system.  The key independent variable is
investment demand.  What determines investment demand?  For Keynes,
interest rates are only part of the story (and not the most important
part).

Banks can't lend just because they have available savings.  They have to
have someone to lend to - there must be a demand for credit (and lender's
expectations of profitability are also important here, they have to cover
the costs of finance, etc.).

So, savings does not necessarily lead to investment (investment depends on
expectations of both investors and lending institutions, which are
influenced by many factors- expected profitability, business and political
climate, etc., etc.).  But investment does lead to savings.  Finance only
makes investment *possible*, but investment will always create new savings.

The circle can be broken at that very point: the weakness of investment
demand even in the face of existing finance.

Since James was so tickled by the earlier quote I provided, I'll try to dig
up the one where Keynes says lower interest rates can even result in higher
savings- you know, the one where he says that *if* lower interest rates
induce investment, that higher investment will lead to higher savings.

By the way, James, I will look up both your articles you mentioned when I
get a chance.

Mathew Forstater      Department of Economics
        Gettysburg College     Gettysburg, PA  17325

tel: (717) 337-6668   fax: (717) 337-6251   e-mail: [log in to unmask]