Date:
Fri Mar 31 17:19:11 2006
From:
[log in to unmask] (Ross B. Emmett)
Summary of messages regarding the intellectual impact of European
emigres in Economics (and other disciplines) received from HES members. I
will post a summary of the discussion on H-IDEAS at a later point.

Thank you to all who sent information. The summary has been posted on
H-IDEAS.

Ross

From: [log in to unmask]
The New School for Social Research is very proud of its emigre
economists including Adolph Lowe and Jacob Marshak.  You would do
well to contact Robert Heilbroner who is a store house of info on
this subject and I think would be very eager to help.  He is
still at the New School, though emeritus and you can contact him
there.  If that doesn't work, contact me and I can get him for
you.

From: "Mathew B. Forstater" <[log in to unmask]>

Alfred Schutz
Max Wertheimer
Paul Tillich
Max Ascoli
Hans Speier
Kurt Riezler
Felix Kaufmann
Max Horkheimer
Herbert Marcuse
Erich Fromm
Leo Lowenthal
Theodor Adorno
Karl Korsch
Karl Wittfogel
Henryk Grossman
Adolph Lowe
Jacob Marschak
Wassily Leontief
Alfred Kahler
Emil Lederer
Hans Neisser
Franco Modigliani
J. A. Schumpeter
Eduard Heimann
Paul Baran
Gerhard Colm
Hans Staudinger
Albert O. Hirschman
Julius Wyler
Arthur Feiler
George Garvy
Tjalling Koopmans
Oscar Lange
Ludwig von Mises
Fritz Machlup
Paul Rosenstein-Rodan
Oskar Morgenstern
Gottfried Haberler
F. A. Lutz

Coser, Lewis (1984) _Refugee Scholars in America: Their Impact
and their Experiences_, (New Haven).

Fermi, Laura (1968) _Illustrious Immigrants: The Intellectual
Migration from Europe, 1930-41_, (Chicago).

Neumann, Franz L. (1953) _The Cultural Migration: The European
Scholar in America_, (Philadelphia).

Kent, Donald P. (1953) _The Refugee Intellectual_, (New York).

Kosa, John (ed.), (1968), _The Home of the Learned Man_ (New
Haven).

Heilbut, Anthony (1983) _Exiled in Paradise_, (Boston).

Krohn, Claus-Dieter 1993, _Intellectuals in Exile: Refugee
Scholars and the New School for Social Research_, Amherst: U.
Mass Press. (original German ed. published in 1987 by
Campus-Verlag under the title _Wissenschaft im Exil_)

Wiggerhaus, Rolf 1994, _The Frankfurt School: its History,
Theories, and Political Significance_, Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
(original German ed. published in 1986 by Carl Hanser verlag
under the title _Die Frankfurter Schule_)

From: "Peter J. Boettke" <[log in to unmask]>
There is a nice book on the New School entitled something like
_Intellectuals in Exile_ which is very good on this point.

From: "H.W. Plasmeijer" <[log in to unmask]>
The best work on the subject is indeed Harald Hagemann (ed.) 'Die
Deutschsprachige wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Emigration nach
1933'. The book, which contains the proceedings of a conference
in Stuttgart (in 1991) is bilingual. Its publication is often
delayed. Now it is announced for November 1995. The publisher is
Metropolis Verlag. P.O. Box 1748, D-35007 Marburg.

I know Harald Hagemann has gathered some additional material on
German emigres. His first list, which was distributed at the
conference, mentioned 292 emigres. I've been told that his new
list gives the names of over 500 social scientists.

There must be enough material on Dutch emigrees. The names are
well known. Tjalling Koopmans, Henri Theil, Samuel Houthakker and
J.J. Polak. The best thing to do, however, is to contact Polak,
who lives in New York.

From: Ron Stanfield <[log in to unmask]>
I believe Hughes, THE SEA CHANGE may have a chap in re sociology.
Eduard Heiman had an article in re econs

Names:
Schumpeter, Hayek, Polanyi: stand out because they all wrote
1940s books on political economy of democratic capitalism.
Arthur Schweitzer
Adolph Lowe

From: [log in to unmask]
I know that Dr. H. Hagemann of the Univ. of Hohenheim in
Stuttgart Germany is in the middle of a major work on why
emigrated and what happened thereafter.  I read a short article
on one form historian of economic thought that I studied with in
collge-- Josef Soudek (Czech).  Hagemann's work is first rate.I
hope this is helpful.  How far from publication?  I have no idea.

From: "MONGIOVI, GARY V" <[log in to unmask]>
There's a superb collection of essays edited by B. Bailyn and
T(?) Fleming called The Intellectual Migration (The Belknap
Press, 1963 - I think).

Ross B. Emmett, Augustana University College, Camrose, Alberta
CANADA   T4V 2R3   voice: (403) 679-1517   fax: (403) 679-1129
e-mail: [log in to unmask]  or  [log in to unmask]