From:
[log in to unmask] (Ross B. Emmett)
Date:
Dear HESers:

Dr. G.E.A. Raspin, the archivist for the LSE, recently sent me some
information about the archive that I requested permission to pass on to
HES subscribers.  Dr. Raspin wrote:

  We have just been funded by the Higher Education Funding Council for England
  to put all our catalogues on line and network the database via the Internet.
  There is a lot of preparatory work to do before this goes live to the world
  at large.  However we are already able to do on-line searches in the office
  on 50%-60% of our collections and the machine readable proportion will
  increase quite fast as will the usability of our software.  Practically all
  our summary collection descriptions are on line. ( Or rather if they are not
  on-line they have not yet been written.)  I am happy to do searches for
  anyone who sends me an E-Mail message and will return the result as an Ascii
  file.

In her response to my request to pass this on to the list, Dr. Raspin
indicated that she would welcome requests, but wanted subscribers to
remember that it will be awhile before all the catalogues are on-line.  In
the interim, they will handle requests by email, sent to the address

The LSE archive houses the papers of many professors and directors of the
LSE (Beveridge, Canaan, Tawney, etc.) as well as other collections (The
Passfield papers of the Webbs, the economic/political/feminist papers of
J.S. Mill/James Mill/Harriet Taylor, etc.).  A list of the papers
available will be included in the HES webpage on manuscript collections,
coming soon to the Internet.

Ross B. Emmett, Augustana University College, Camrose, Alberta
CANADA   T4V 2R3   voice: (403) 679-1517   fax: (403) 679-1129
e-mail: [log in to unmask]  or  [log in to unmask]