From:
[log in to unmask] (JONATHON E. MOTE)
Date:
A couple of quick responses to Mary Schweitzer's post of
December 4, 1995:

I agree that McCloskey's first work on rhetoric was good
for economists to hear, and I agree that her's is a  limited
approach.  However, I strongly disagree with the assertion
that McCloskey is pushing the notion that rhetoric is a
weapon with which to wield power.  From my own reading
of her texts, and my association with her as a student, it is
apparent that McCloskey treats rhetoric as a PROCESS,
not as a thing.  In fact, if you have ever read McCloskey's
"If You're So Smart," I find it astonishing that you came to
the conclusion that he is promoting a destructive notion of
rhetoric.  Nevertheless, there does exist a contradiction in
that McCloskey continues to maintain that neoclassical
economics is the "right" way to pursue economics, but I
don't believe that this translates to a desire on her part to
shut economics off from the perspectives of
non-economists.  Inclusivity is a main theme of her work on
rhetoric.  I think you're correct, though, that in the wrong
hands, rhetoric can be reduced to mere polemics.

In my own work, I look exactly at how narrative and
rhetoric excludes certain schools of thought from
mainstream discussion. This analysis could easily extend to
non-economists.  But I certainly don't think that this analysis
begins and ends with McCloskey and I can't say I know
anybody who thinks it does.  I think we are all aware that
there have been folks writing on this stuff for generations
and not under the illusion that these are new ideas.

I would also like to address the assertion that "what
SHOULD have happened was an opening from the
economics profession into the literature of other
professions...within my own discipline of economic history
that SHOULD have meant a reawakening to the value of
historiography."  Why should this have happened when the
history profession doesn't widely agree on the beneift of the
study of  historiography (and I define historiography not
simply as the writing of history, but the critique and analysis
of the writing of history)?

By the way, when did the Greeks enter into this discussion?

Jonathon E. Mote
1822 Chestnut #3F
Philadelphia, PA  19103