From:
[log in to unmask] (Steven Horwitz)
Date:
I just wanted to echo both Warren's view that such a family tree
project would be very useful and Pete's view that doing such a project
is extremely complex.  I think Greg's lengthy examples involving Hayek
point that out.  One more layer of complexity aside from Pete's point
about official "teachers" versus de facto influences:  one would also
need to look at whether the "students" were genuinely influenced by
the "teacher" or whether they had an insight original to themselves
which they later understood (perhaps incorrectly) to be derived from
the supposed "teacher."

I don't want to rehash a running debate that Pete, Greg, and I have
been engaged in on the AustrianEcon list, but if some of the folks that
Greg claims are influenced by Hayek have really misunderstood his
point, do we still count that as an "influence"?  The ongoing debate
on the Austrian lineage of Lucas's macroeconomics is a case in point.
On Greg's conception of it, Lucas should have a branch on the Hayek
tree.  Personally, I'm not convinced.

At some point, when the tree has branches going everywhere, the project
loses some of its value.

Steven Horwitz
Eggleston Associate Professor of Economics
St. Lawrence University
Canton, NY 13617
TEL (315) 379-5731
FAX (315) 379-5819