Sender:
From:
Gabi Ford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 1996 17:49:03 -0800
I have been reading this list for some time now and enjoying the
stimulating thoughts on MT.  I am not a Twain scholar nor am I involved
in academic pursuits related to MT.  I just like his stuff.  :)

Something has been bugging me for some time...and that is the choice of
words in "The Man That Corrupted Hadleysburg."  Wouldn't it be more
elegant to use "who corrupted..."?  With Twain's preference for the right
word over its second cousin....why did he choose "that"?  Was this the
thing at the time...or is there another reason?
Or maybe "that" is perfectly proper...and not any less elegant than "who"???

Any thoughts?

Gabi