From:
Sylvia Wendel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 1997 12:38:51 -0400

On the other hand, the argument (with which I agree) that one must not judge
the past by today's lights is not best served by coining yet another instant
-ism.  Then you don't have an argument or concept.  What you do have is
shorthand and symbol.  Will academics and others who still think about these
things end up like fast-food workers, punching buttons with cute pictures on
them because, like, words are hard n' take too long 'n stuff?  Wait a minute
-- hasn't this already happened? <g>

Spell it out, folks.  One picture is not worth a thousand words.  The right
word
("and not its second cousin") can still be worth a thousand pictures.
 Anytime anyone wants to write a 10,000 word essay on "presentism", I'll
read
it.  But let's not indulge in name-calling, bomb-throwing, symbol-slinging,
or other pursuits better suited to politicians and others of limited
intellect.

Sylvia Weiser Wendel, M.F.A.