From:
Robert E Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2013 19:57:12 -0400
Go to cndc.ucr.edu (no www needed) and bracket your inquiry to,  say,
1861-1868 and  search "Hasheesh." There are a dozen references in the
newspapers, and remember that the venerable SF Bulletin isn't included  on that site.
They knew it was narcotic, but it appears to have been in common  usage.
Consider today's American attitude toward cigarettes compared to the  image I
have of my uncle, a surgeon in WWII Europe, lighting a cigarette for a
wounded man on a stretcher. His own children, born postwar, said "That can't be
Dad"  because of the cigarette. No one ever said Twain was not a man of his
time.

Bob Stewart

In a message dated 9/10/2013 11:58:01 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,