From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jul 2015 14:08:07 -0500
Just home last night from driving back from Hannibal...  I second Martin's
praise of Henry Sweets for his thoughtful and careful planning for this
conference. Anyone who has ever hosted a big event like this knows it takes
patience and fortitude to carry it off, plus the ability to heard cats. And
all of that happens before the conference even starts. Hats off to Henry!

My own paper on "Mark Twain Kills a Boy" drew about 55 people, and if I know
the signs of dead cats and rotten vegetables, and I believe that I do, I
detected none, and none were thrown at me. No dead cats or rotten veggies
were apparent at the reading Richard Henzel and John Pascal gave of the
"dialogue" written by Vic Fischer and Ben Griffin of the MTP for the Mark
Twain & Youth book that Kent Rasmussen and I are editing. I should also
mention that when I asked all of those who contributed to the book to stand
and be recognized that I neglected to name Henry Sweets. I worked from a
list of attendees and for that reason overlooked including Henry (he was not
on the list, of course!). I expressed my abject apologies to Henry shortly
after, but wish to make them public.

Besides the paper sessions, the presentation given by Susan Bailey was
excellent and the performance of `A True Story' by Gladys Coggswell was
wonderful.

My wife Donna and I drove up from Texas. We narrowly dodged the weather that
smacked down Martin Zehr's oak tree in Kansas City, but otherwise had a very
pleasant trip, and did some antiquing along the way. Donna found a ca.
1890-1910 souvenir glass paperweight for the Boyhood Home in one shop. I
have a seven or eight such turn-of-the-century paperweights from the Boyhood
Home, Elmira, etc., but I did not have this one. I've had pretty good luck
talking her out of it so far.

The dorms, cafeteria, and the building where the sessions were held were all
within easy walking distance, and for those without cars there was a trolley
to fetch attendees back and forth to downtown Hannibal. The tours of the
home and museums (including Faye Dant's new museum, Jim's Journey) were
nicely balanced with the sessions, and everyone had time to see the home,
the museums, the cave, etc. The steamboat dinner that brought day three to a
close was great. The tone of the conference was very casual and friendly,
and the weather was not so blazing hot as it could have been, and parking at
the college and anywhere else in Hannibal was absurdly easy. We all visited
again with old friends and made some new ones. Papers were very good, with
some new voices present, and with 76 attendees (maybe double the first
Hannibal conference?) I think this conference is now established and here to
stay. For those who like irony, the college dorms where the majority of the
attendees stayed, is on a campus where swearing, boozing, and smoking are
forbidden. I'm not sure where the swearing, boozing, smoking heathens
stayed, and I'm not sure if I spotted any in the dorms. Some damned fool may
have sworn a little while introducing one session, but this was a Mark Twain
Conference, and not for those dainty Jane Austen and Henry James crowds.

I would predict that everyone who attended this conference will return to
the next, and that it will reach double its present size the next time or
the time after, and that we'll all be reading, thinking, and writing twice
as often and twice as hard about Mark Twain as we are now, trying to keep
up.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books