Date:
     Anne Mayhew asked why I thought the Philadelphian in the
quote about Ricardo was wrong.
     I guess I have to amend that statement.
     First, it depends on WHEN the statement may have been made.
     The nature of banks, and bank notes, changed substantially
in the period between the mid-1780s, when the first Philadelphia
banks were in full operation, and Ricardo's death in 1823.  The
late 18th century banks functioned mainly as financial intermediaries
between fairly wealthy individuals and merchants in need of
short loans.  The 3-month or 6-month note was common in the
Philadelphia merchant community by the mid-1700s; the primary
function of the Bank of North America and the Bank of Pennsylvania
appeared to have been to institutionalize and broaden (and hence
lower costs of risk) this process.
     It is something I am aware of because I was VERY disappointed
to discover that bank notes played zippo role in Pennsylvania
as a circulating currency that could replace the issues from the
state-run "land bank", which was called "Pennsylvania currency" and
circulated widely in the mid-Atlantic and backcountry from the
1720s through the 1790s.  I had rather hoped to find that one
replaced the other, and the complete absence of bank notes in the
account books of Philadelphians torpedoed what I had thought might
be a promising explanation for the relative ease with which the
money clause in the Constitution was accepted.  (I'm still trying to
figure it out, BTW; my best guess right now is that the proponents
of state paper currency, a VERY hot political issue at the time,
must not have fully understood what that clause meant, but since
it is a SEPARATE hypothesis of mine that they generally DID know
what these things meant, I am experiencing some cognitive dissonance.
Phooey.)

     So -- Had the statement been made between 1785 and perhaps
1815, I would believe it was not an apocryphal tale.  I have seen
similar statements by PA federalist politicians.  But keep in mind
that public statements to that effect would be met with counter-
statements from the political and ideological opposition.
     However, it might have been accurate to explain that the
early "banks" were not full-throttle -- we all know now that the
1st (and 2nd) Bank of the United States was unable to function
as a true central bank; as more research is done on this period, I
think it will also become pretty clear that the early state banks
did not fully function as did those of the Jacksonian Period.
     And that was one of the main criticiques of the banks.  The
commonwealth-run (I say commonwealth to bridge the activities of
the colonial legislature with that of the state legislature)
"land bank" had a far wider direct impact in the state than these
private merchant banks (for want of a better term).  Anyone with
a valid deed showing sufficient land to use as collateral could
borrow a small sum from the "land bank" at a low interest rate.
It had been wildly popular in SE Pennsylvania during the colonial
period, and by the end of the 1700s the farmers of central and
western Pennsylvania wanted access to the same developmental
subsidy.
     If the author used this out of context -- that is, while it is
possible that it really was a valid quote, and it is possible that
such really was the case, but the statement had to be representative
of a very small segment of the population -- I would find that very
frustrating.

     Now -- AFTER about 1815 or so, there was a tremendous expansion
in the number of private banks throughout the nation.  These banks
began to issue bank notes for deposits (as described by Temin), and
it is in THIS period that bank notes truly become an important
component of the American money supply.
     I think.  <g>
     I am operating once again on evidence from account books.  I
do not think we are anywhere NEAR getting a good handle on the
size of the money stock in this period, or the relative size of its
components.  So I find it more helpful to look at the transactions
as measured by day books.  Everyone from merchants to shopkeepers to
farmers kept day books, and was familiar with, and used to, dealing
with a number of currencies.  There's usually one listed as the unit
of account -- state currencies until just after 1800, then dollars --
and anything else is noted.  Bank notes were sufficiently unusual in
many places that they got a separate listing.
     The issue of redeeming bank notes for specie takes on a separate
meaning once banks began issuing notes for deposits in sufficient
amounts that they circulated as currency.  The 30- to 60-day
commercial paper circulated only within a narrow circle of merchants,
and were always tied to the specific borrower with specific
endorsements and transfers.  When we think of bank notes as currency,
however -- the type of currency that transformed the American
economy in the antebellum period -- we really mean notes ON THE
BANK ITSELF.
     The proliferation of banks in urban areas meant that urban
residents had lots of circulating bank notes on institutions in
suffiicently close proximity they could judge the stability with
reasonable success.  As all students of this period have noted,
however, uncertainty as to the ultimate value of a particular bank
note increased with distance.  How could someone in Philadelphia
accurately judge the quality of a bank note issued on a bank in
Charleston?  Well, if you were a merchant, chances are you not
only had business contacts there, but you were also likely to have
relatives.
     I apologize for covering ground that some already know -- it
appears that the history of banking in the U.S. is not nearly as
well-known as I would have thought; my students keep coming in from
their Money and Banking classes spouting Bray Hammond, a path-
breaker but today EXTREMELY outdated.

     As one might surmise, there was a Gresham's Law of bank
notes in the hinterland and as payment for services by the
relatively powerless.  I don't know when they first appeared, but
by the 1830s newsletters were easily available (at a price) that
kept running tabs on the appropriate discount for specific banks'
notes.  A shopkeeper, merchant, anyone who did a lot of trading,
would probably be subscribed to one of these -- not to mention that
the more bank notes you used, the lower the consequences if you got
stuck with a bad one.  Not surprisingly, bank notes made wage
laborers REAL nervous.  And many farmers wanted nothing to do with
them, either.  However (perhaps ironically), the spread of banks,
the proliferation within urban areas and over large geographical
areas, actually made it easier for the average joe to deal with bank
notes.  The distant farmer could be willing to take bank notes from
the nearby bank he trusted, and the bank would be better qualified
to judge the riskiness of out-of-town bank notes than the farmer would.
In town, the proliferation of banks and bank notes made it much more
likely that a wage-earner would be paid in local notes that would
not then be discounted by a shopkeeper or landlord.  So standing
the old wildcatting story on its head (well, it's already been
pretty well stood there!), in this case MORE meant stability.

     You cannot understand the problem of bank runs and panics
outside of this historical context.  It makes quite a difference
which decade you are talking about, because in one of the earlier
decades a panic was mostly a crisis for merchants, who were used
to a certain amount of flexibility in payment and were more likely
to be able to absorb the costs of uncertainty.  Discounting would
not be that big a problem for them; it happened everywhere in their
sector of the economy.
     But when bank notes became a (if not THE) common currency in
the nation, then uncertainty was spread to those less able to
absorb the costs, or wait for the market to straighten itself out.
And if a bank went belly-up, the small depositor, the small holder
of bank notes, were at the bottom of the list to be compensated.
A long delay in straightening out assets and debits would be much
more costly for the low to middle-income householder.  (True also
in 1929-1932, despite the scoffing of some academics.)

     And that is why I said the Philadelphian was wrong.
I would assume that he would have been referring to the Panic
of 1814, or the crisis of 1819.  By this point the banks were not
the insular institutions they had been two decades earlier.  Those
with the wherewithall to arbitrage the discounting, or with enough
to be able to sit things out, were hardly damaged and tended to
view things as similar to lost shipments -- this stuff happens.
The vast majority of Americans (still on farms) had little to do with
banks, or bank money, in the first place, so it was nothing except
entertainment value, to tsk tsk about those city folk.  But the
middling and low-income urban residents who got caught holding
paper curency that was rapidly diminishing in value were (quite
understandably) angry.
     So -- he may have been speaking for his buddies.  He may have
been spouting off wishful thinking.  He may have been echoing what
USED to be the case.  Or "he" may never have existed at all.
     Be that as it may, the majority of Philadelphians (and
New YOrkers, and Bostonians, and Baltimorons (heh heh heh))
were not at all sanguine about specie suspensions.  And let's have
a little sophistication here in explaining WHY they might be just
a little bit upset -- the exchange of currency for good and
services represents a bargain fulfilled.  If the value of the
currency shifts wildly between the time the bargain is arranged
and fulfilled, then to insist on NOMINAL rather than REAL
payment is to some extent reniging on the bargain.

     So -- took a long while getting there, but here is the
final point.  Few appreciate the magnitude of the transition in
public perception that occurred between the 1750s and the
1820s with regard to the purpose and usefulness of paper
currencies of ANY type, and the sudden (and it was sudden)
appearance of intense popular hostility to the function of
banking in a society.
     In Pennsylvania, at least, a political faction linked to
the FEderalist Party (eventually) tried to kill off the PA
land bank through the 1780s -- and finally succeeded by slipping
the money clause into the Constitution.  The institutions that
replaced the Land Bank were intended for the merchant community's
needs, period.  In many ways, these institutions were simply
replacing the private lending practices in the port cities with
financial intermediaries that could function far more efficiently.
They really were very different from the banks of the 1830s.
     As for the majority of the population out there living on
farms (90% in the census of 1790), the land banks may have been
replaced by the private land companies and the public Land Office
of the federal government as a means of acquiring farming capital.
But I honestly have no idea what they were using for currency.
I had to laugh at Chris Clarke's stunning finding that farmers
would not take "cash" in New England in the first two decades of
the 1800s -- and he was working with WESTERN Massachussets -- n
no kidding -- I wouldn't have taken it either!  You have to wait
for the addition of more local banks and in New England, the
formation of the Suffolk System, to find bank notes circulating
practically in the economy.

Why would the common folk HATE banks, then?

1.  Practical experience with the costs of uncertainty when
dealing with bank notes.

2.  Practical experience with being out-maneuvered by an
obvious faction of PA politics that really consisted of merchants
and lawyers in Philadelphia, some of whom openly despised the
bankcountry farmers.

3.  AND, as we move into the second, third, fourth decades of the
1800s, the only theory available with which to explain (1) and
(2) did not leave much room for the positive benefits of financial
intermediation.  The focus of theory in the 1700s was on money and
trade and mercantile activities; by the early 1800s it had shifted
to factories and products, to THINGS.  Theory backed off of
flows and into set pieces.
     Where does financial intermediation fit in the labor theory
of value?

Which brings us back to the history of economic thought!  Wasn't
this a fun journey?  It's something I would like to see more of --
the interconnectedness between experience, institutions, and
theory -- then theory, expectations, behaviors, and policies.

Apologies for the length.  If I could have made it shorter, I would
have.
     -- Mary Schweitzer