From:
[log in to unmask] (Anne Mayhew)
Date:
Mary--Thank you very much for a fascinating tour of some banking
history.  You convince me, but then what you say is very close to
what I tell my
students anyway about the use of bank notes, state-issued paper money,
the constitution, etc.  (Using, I might add, Mary's work as one of the
sources, along with the "dated" Bray Hammond whose discussion of the 2nd
Bank is, in my view, still superior to that of Temin who confuses central
banks of the 20th century with emerging central banks in an earlier and
quite different time.)

At the same time it still seems to me that the possibly imaginary
Philadelphian could be said to have been expressing a reasonable view in
Philadelphia throughout much of the early 19th century.  In Philadelphia,
when bank notes were not in such common use, as well as later, when
they were, there must have been great pressure not to demand specie when
specie was perceived to be in inadequate supply locally.  Directly
economic pressure if you were a stockholder because even if you know that
such stuff happens you would still rather avoid it, and indirect pressure
if you owe money to stockholders because you wouldn't want to be the
trigger for a run.

Perhaps I am missing something.  I will save and ponder Mary's message
at some point when my brain is fresher.  Happy weekend.

Anne Mayhew
1101 McClung Tower
University of Tennessee
Knoxville, TN 37996-0411
PH: 615-974-1689; FAX: 615-974-3915; E-MAIL: [log in to unmask]