From:
[log in to unmask] (Robin Neill)
Date:
Particulary in response to Rod and Brad:

     If you had ever listened to physicists and historians mock the
jargon and style of positive neoclassical economics you would not
pass the comments of postmodern literary criticism that you do.  To
ridicule what you do not understand is to underline that you do not
understand it.

     Postmodern deconstructionists should also stay in their own
field, which is literature and humanities, not economics.

     I hold no brief for the content of the works of Foucault or
Baudrillard, who, by the way, quite disagree with one another.  It
seems to me that they have taken the subject matter of what once was
Moral Theology and dealt with it from the point of view subjective
fallen nature.  If God is dead [They misunderstand Nietzsche on
this.], and all the works of God are dead, then there is nothing but
the unconstrained experience of fallen nature.  From a Buddhist point
of view, they speak of and from samsara, the experience of birth and
death.  I am not interested in plumbing this illusion, though I
conceed the requirement that those working in the humanities do so.
>From time to time, in their discourse, however, they do rise above the
illusion to give it, however sureptitiously, sufficient structure to
alow them to go on talking.

     As I read Baudrillard's FORGET FOUCAULT, I extract the following
perhaps useful assertions.  Faucault's discussion of sex is not about
sex, but about constraints on sex.  His discussion of power is not
about power, but about constraints on power. [I profess no special
knowledge about sex, but I am aware that the Political Science has
dealt with constitutions, voting procedures, pressure groups and
political parties - all of which are discussions of the structure of
or constraint on power, and not of power itself.  NOW economics is
about relative scarcity, that is, a particular constraint on wealth,
and not wealth itself.

     Does this tell us anything?

     It is not a new idea, as anyone who has read John Rae, E.G.
Wakefield, Henry George, Thorstein Veblen, or Joseph Schumpeter
knows.  Schumpeter spoke of the rupturing of the static circular flow
with its associated relative scarcities.

     Economics, as we now have it, is not about wealth, but about the
constraints on wealth.  Is this a directive as we look to explain the
present relatively unhappy situation?