Date:
Fri Mar 31 17:19:07 2006
From:
[log in to unmask] (Ross B. Emmett)
Forwarded from H-AMSTDY by Ross Emmett.

> Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 09:57:07 -0500 (EST)
> From: "Alana J. Erickson" <[log in to unmask]>

Here's a call for papers for a conference this spring at Columbia University.

Alana J. Erickson

Graduate Student Conference
 on
Freedom in American History

-   -   -   -

Columbia University
April 19-20, 1995

Freedom has long been central to American national identity.
Historically, however, the concept of freedom has been neither static
nor stable, and has always encompassed many meanings.  The Graduate
Student Conference on Freedom in American History hopes to map the
multiple and contested meanings of freedom from the colonial
era to the present.  How has freedom been produced and reproduced by
institutions, social groups, and individuals?  How have different ideas
of freedom been constructed, challenged, violated, and transformed?

We invite papers from graduate students in a variety of disciplines in
the Humanities, including:  African-American Studies, American Studies,
History, Literature, Music, Political Theory, Religion, and Women's
Studies.  (This list is illustrative and by no means exclusive.)

Paper titles and abstracts of no more than 250 words must be submitted
by January 16, 1996.  Please send submissions to:  Timothy P. McCarthy
c/o Institute for Research in African-American Studies, 758 Schermerhorn
Extension, Columbia University, New Yorkn, NY 10027.  Tel. #:  212/854-4935.
E-mail inquiries should be directed to:  Alana  J. Erickson,

Planning Committee
The Graduate Student Conference on Freedom in American History