From:
[log in to unmask] (Kevin Quinn)
Date:
First, with all due respect, Diggins' *Promise* is an awful guide to
pragmatism. May I suggest as an antidote Robert Westbrook's *John Dewey
and American Democracy*? To the extent that we're getting pragmatism
filtered through McCloskey via Rorty, I think we miss Dewey's radical,
substantive democracy--the emphasis in Westbrook's work--and miss the
sense in which Dewey's work presents a deep challenge to the liberalism
of a Rorty or McCloskey. Dewey would have been dubious, at the least,
about Rorty's radical public/private dichotomy.

As far as whether modern economics is pragmatist, I think the answer is
decidedly in the negative. Despite the superficial resemblance, Dewey's
instrumentalism is worlds away from the instrumental rationality
apotheosized in neoclassical economics. To get to the crux, here is
Dewey, in his section of the *Ethics* (co-authored with John Tufts) "All
voluntary action is a remaking of the self". A "science of choice" that
took this insight of Dewey's at all seriously would be remade (and
emphatically less "scientific") The challenge that Deweyan pragmatism
potentially offers to the conception of reason and agency espoused by
modern economics is perhaps best appreciated in, of all places, *Art as
Experience*.