From:
[log in to unmask] (Ross B. Emmett)
Date:
Date:          Mon, 11 Dec 1995 13:26:32 +0800
From:          [log in to unmask] (Knowledge & Discourse Conference 1996) Subject:       Latest Information on K & D conference 96

This is to announce our * Final Call for Papers and Colloquia *
for our International, Multidisciplinary Conference :

          * KNOWLEDGE AND DISCOURSE *
* Changing relationships across academic disciplines & professional
practices *

to be held at the University of Hong Kong : 18-21 June, 1996

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *
NOTE: This is a full message, so we advise you to print it out, but please
keep a copy for forwarding to interested colleagues.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *
Deadline for Abstracts:  15th January 1996;  flexible on overseas
submissions.
Abstracts accepted by E-Mail, fax & surface mail.
Information on submissions, registration, etc. follows later.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *
THERE IS A GROWING AWARENESS of the roles that language and culture play in
the construction of the knowledges and beliefs that underpin our
disciplinary and professional practices.  This conference is an attempt to
foster that growth, and from small beginnings we have already attracted
submissions from over 30 countries, from Chile and Australia in the south
Canada, Finland, Russia and China in the north.

The broad aims of this conference are to :
    *  highlight the complex roles language and culture play in the
        construction of the knowledges and beliefs than underpin or
        dominate our disciplines and professions
    *  critique disciplinary and professional knowledges and social
        and discourse practices from social, philosophical, historical
        and political perspectives
    *  promote change in academic curricula by bringing different
        disciplines into dialogue with each other, & by encouraging
        them to re-consider their disciplinary identities
    *  explore learning and knowledge-making resources beyond the
        walls of the academy, in the social and professional cultures
        of the communities that nurture those disciplines and institutions.

*Issues, Questions and Perspectives*
    *  Philosophical perspectives: exploring issues of power, authority and
        interested knowledge in academic disciplines.
    *  Social perspectives: exploring issues of representation, imperialism
        and ideology in academic practices.
    *  Historical perspectives: the development of particular academic
        disciplines and professional practices.
    *  Linguistic perspectives: how language can be used to either support
        or impede interdisciplinary communication.
    *  Changes in professional practices and how they affect tertiary and
        secondary curricula, and vice versa.
    *  The effects of foreign language education on cultures and knowledge
systems.
    *  How are tertiary institutions responding to changes in society?
    *  How do discourse practices influence knowledge?
    *  To what extent are non-Western societies  resisting Western academic
         and professional models or adapting them to their own cultural
needs and settings?

*INVITED SPEAKERS*

*Steve Fuller*  will give the keynote address.  He is Professor of
Sociology
        at Durham, founder-editor of the journal `Social Epistemology', and is
        one of the leading figures in the Sociology of Science. An example of
        his willingness to challenge orthodoxy is his recent book "Philosophy,
        rhetoric and the end of knowledge".
*Kalpana Ram* works on the Gender Relations Project at ANU in Canberra,
        and is a prominent voice speaking out for the rights of women in the
        Asian sub-continent; see her recent book: "Mukkuvar women: gender,
        hegemony and capitalist transformation in a South Indian fishing
community".
*Michel Callon* is Director of the Centre de Sociologie de l'Innovation at
the
        Ecole Sup. des Mines in Paris, and is perhaps best-known internationally
        for his seminal work on Actor Network Theory.  See his book "Science
and its
        networks", Paris: La Decouverte (in French), and many articles on
the subject.
*Gu Yue Guo* is Pro-President of the Beijing Foreign Studies University,
and did
        his doctoral work in linguistics at the University of Lancaster.  A
noted
        comparative linguistic scholar, he will examine the discursive
complexities
        and changes to be found in contemporary China, exploring the diverse
cultural
        influences prompting those changes.
*Allan Luke* is shortly taking up the Chair of Post Graduate Education at
the
        University of Queensland in Brisbane.  He is currently working on a
        number of critical literacy projects, and is chief editor of Falmer
Press's
        acclaimed "Critical Literacy" series.
*Ligia Parra-Esteban* is Director of the Foundation for the Investigation
of
        Communication between Scientists in Bogota, Colombia; she will be
        discussing the role that established mechanisms of science communication
        play in the development of research in `peripheral science' countries.
*Alastair Pennycook* of the Department of Applied Linguistics at the
University
        of Melbourne is an increasingly prominent critic of psycholinguistic
        approaches to language study, and of the worldwide hegemony of the
        English language.  His recent book "The cultural politics of English as

        an international language" won the British Association of Applied
Linguists'
        1995 book prize.

LANGUAGE:  Our invited speakers, then, cover a spectrum of nationalities,
cultures, disciplines and language groups - Chinese, Hindi, Spanish, French
and English.  We are aware of the irony of having the last of these
languages, English, as the language of expression at the conference;
English
has done most to promote particular (Western) versions of knowledge at the
expense of local and regional knowledges and languages.  We felt, though,
that English was likely to ensure either the greatest level of mutual
comprehension among participants or the most widely shared vehicle for
debate.  Accepting diversity of language of expression would have had to be
without exception, and from experience we believe that would have tended to
result in communication among, rather than between, participants from
different language groups.

COMMUNICATION:  We are hoping that participants will bear in mind that
multidisciplinary communication involves making concessions to the
plurality
and only partial overlap of the discourses participants will have access
to.
What participants WILL share - some of the perspectives described above -
should ensure a degree of mutual understanding.  What will enhance that
understanding will be the grounding of our ideas, critiques and theories in
examples and accounts drawn from our practices and our working contexts.

*Participants*
Teachers, researchers and professional practitioners engaged in
inter-disciplinary and cross-disciplinary projects, investigating, inter
alia :
    *  the history, philosophy and sociology of particular disciplines.
    *  the communication used between academics and professionals both
        across and within the boundaries of different disciplines.
    *  pan-disciplinary issues, such as those of gender, race and ethnicity,
        class, and culture in academic disciplines and professional practices.

*Types of Presentations*
    *  Papers, workshops, poster sessions and colloquia.
We welcome theoretical considerations, practical case studies and
methodological contributions which either challenge or confirm current
paradigms and practices through cross-disciplinary research projects,
teaching projects, activities or experiments.

THE ORGANISERS WOULD LIKE TO ASSURE ALL POTENTIAL PARTICIPANTS of their
belief in pluralism, diversity and change, in mutual tolerance, and in the
equal rights of all peoples to pursue their own beliefs and ideas, so long
as these are not inconsistent with a respect for those rights in others.

Organized by : -
The English Centre
University of Hong Kong
and
The School of English Language Communication
Beijing Foreign Studies University

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

*ABSTRACTS*
Please submit an abstract of about one page outlining the mode of
presentation, title and content of your paper, and your name and most
convenient form of address.

*DEADLINES*
Receipt of abstracts:   15th January 1996
Notification of acceptance: a.s.a.p. & before   15th February 1996
Receipt of full text:   30th April 1996

*Submit your abstract* either -
  *  as hard copy by post to :
        Conference O96 Secretary
        English Centre
        University of Hong Kong
        Pokfulam Road
        HONG KONG

 *   or  by e-mail  to :

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *
*REGISTRATION FEES*
Up to 31st March 1996  US$   80 / HK$ 600
>From 1st April 1996     US$  100 / HK$ 750

*A note about "How to Pay"*
If paying from a bank account situated outside Hong Kong, please send a
BANK
cheque and not a personal cheque, in either US or HK dollars, made out to
"The University of Hong Kong". Thanks!

There is a Registration Form below

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

*ACCOMMODATION*
We recommend that you book accommodation as far in advance of arriving in
Hong Kong as you can, especially if you would like to stay on H.K.U.
Campus,
at the Robert Black College. If Robert Black College becomes fully booked,
we will make bookings at hotels off campus which can be offered to
participants.

 *   Accommodation on campus:
A limited number of rooms with air-conditioning, private bath or shower,
refrigerator and colour TV are available in Robert Black College; breakfast
included; lunch and dinner can be provided. Daily room rates and the
CollegeOs registration fee are as follows:

        Single occupancy:       US$ 60.00  /  HK$ 462.00
        Double occupancy:       US$ 75.00  /  HK$ 561.00
        College registration fee:  US$ 6.50  /  HK$ 50.00  per person

PLEASE BOOK EARLY.
Advance payment for the first nightOs accommodation is requested at the
time
of booking, and should you want to cancel, two monthOs written notice is
required for refund of deposit.

 *   Accommodation in town:
Budget accommodation can be found in hostels from around US$35.00 (HK$250)
per night.
Moderate hotel prices in Hong Kong start from around US$100.00 (HK$800) for
a standard room.

*Hospitality*
There will be a welcoming reception and, nearer the time, details will be
circulated about informal evenings at a variety of restaurants around town
to which delegates are invited on a cost share basis.
* REGISTRATION FORM * :  "KNOWLEDGE AND DISCOURSE"

To register, please print out the following form (or write your own details
in a similar format, if the form doesn't come out well) and return it, with
your details and your cheque (payable to "The University of Hong Kong"), to
us at :
KandD 96, The English Centre, University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, HONG
KONG.

Name : _
Do you plan to give a presentation?  : YES / NO
Which Type? (please circle) : Paper   :   Workshop  :  Colloquium  : Poster
Postal Address (and for conference programme) : _
_
_
_
Rapid Contact Address (e-mail, fax, etc.) _
Presentation Title _
_
_
Registration Fee                                     =  US$ / HK$
Accommodation
   at Robert Black, on HKU campus
   Single / Double room for ____ nights   = US$ / HK$ ...........
   plus College Reg. Fee                             = US$ / HK$ ...........

I enclose a bank draft/bank cheque for    = US$ / HK$ ...........

Other details

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *
For latest information you can reach us at :
    *  e-mail   : [log in to unmask]
    *  WWW     : http://www.hku.hk/engctr/kandd.html
    *  fax        : (852) 2547 3409
    *  tel        : (852) 2859 2004

Thank you for your time and for forwarding this message to interested
colleagues.

We hope to see you in Hong Kong next June.

K and D Steering Committee
The English Centre
University of Hong Kong