From:
[log in to unmask] (Brad De Long)
Date:
Re:

>Once again Ransom is on the ball.  I could not have expressed or
emphasized
>the point better.  The history of economics is indeed socialal
constructed;
>it does not write itself.
>
>Warren Samuels
>
>>The fact that the task has no 'right answers' is one reason it is'
>>worth doing -- a provocative way to inspire interest in the history
>>of economic thought.
>>
>>Greg Ransom
>>Dept. of Philosophy
>>UC-Riverside

But intellectual family tree questions do have "wrong answers":

Adam Smith --> James Fallows

Friedrich von Hayek --> John Kenneth Galbraith

Karl Marx     )
              )
              )--> Milton Friedman
              )
Friedrich List)

If the history of economics does not in some sense "write itself", then why
do we all laugh at the three family trees above?

Brad De Long