From:
[log in to unmask] (Peter J. Boettke)
Date:
The complexity of these issues is great.  Within Austrian circles for
example Rothbard worked with Joseph Dorfman yet he always claimed as
his teacher Ludwig von Mises.  Lachmann worked with Sombart, but
again claims it was reading Mises's essays in the 1920s that
facinated him, and then he worked with Hayek at the LSE in the 1930s.
Even Hayek did not study with Mises technically, but it was Mises
that influenced him more than any other scholar.

Many Austrians, Gerald O'Driscoll and Larry White, worked closely
with Axel Leijonhufvud at UCLA, as did many work with Alchian and
Demsetz as well.  Rizzo worked with Landes and Stigler at Chicago.

At George Mason University in the 1980s, students were as exposed to
Austrian economics as they were to public choice economics.  Buchanan
and Tullock were extremely influential on students working in the
Austrian program.  In the case of Dave Prychitko and myself, Kenneth
Boulding  -- who taught at GMU during our time there for two years --
was also very influential in terms of thought processes.  Prychitko
later went as a post-doc to study with Vanek at Cornell, and in my
case the work of Warren Samuels has been very influential on my
perception of where the project of economics must go and what
questions we should ask [even if I don't always agree with Warren's
answers :))..

At Auburn University today the only Austrian on the full-time faculty
is Roger Garrison.  Ekelund and Hebert, however, are the major
influences in the department from what I understand. So Austrian
economics even at one of its orthodox centers of thought, the LvM
Institute, does not generate students without cross influences
educationally.

A family tree would be important and interesting to construct, but I
don't know if PhD training as much as "thought" would really capture
the idea.  And the cross fertlization that makes growth of knowledge
possible complicated matters further.  I am pretty sure that the
story of Austrian economics is no different than other schools of
thought within economics.

Pete

Peter J. Boettke
Assistant Professor