From:
[log in to unmask] (Kevin Quinn)
Date:
As an antidote to Fish, I strongly recommend Martha Nussbaum's essay,
"Sophistry About Conventions", reprinted in her *Love's Knowledge*
(Oxford, 1990, pp.220-229). In an endnote to the paper, she characterizes
it as a commentary on a "pervasive tendency" in literary theory (which is
also a tendency in *some* uses made of rhetoric and postmodernism in
economics), to wit: "..the tendency to respond to the putative collapse
of unqualified metaphysical realism (the view that we have truth only
when we have a completely unmediated and non-interpretative access to the
structure of reality as it is in itself) by espousing some form of
radical subjectivism, relativism or skepticism--for example, Fish's
position here, according to which statements cannot be assessed as to
their rational justifiability but only as to the power of their maker."

The Nussbaum paper is a comment on a paper by Fish called
"Anti-Professionalsm", whose thesis Nussbaum summarizes: "Fish argues
that the only criterion of truth we have for judgements made in a given
profession is the prevailing (currently dominant) view of things among
pracricing members of the profession. 'Prevailing' is explicitly denied
all normative epistemological content: it is a descriptive term having to
do with such things as power, prestige and income. According to Fish,
there is, in any case, no significant distinction to be made between
persuasion and manipulation, or even violence." (228)

Interestingly enough, as an example of a rational anti-professionalism
that does not rely on a foundationalist, naively realist epistemology,
Nussbaum cites the encounter betweenJohn Rawls and the economics
profession:
"Rawls' ability to offer a justification of the principles of justice
against the utilitarian economist does not depend on his being well
trained in economics (although he is so, and although *in practice* his
ability to convince actual economists is certainly helped by this). It
depends on his caring about human matters that are common ground between
him and the profession, and caring about coherence and rational
persuasion."

Kevin Quinn