From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 1996 02:03:32 -0400
This posting is a follow-up to the discussion about using on-line
information sources for kids/youth/school health education and promotion.

As part of an evaluation of early childhood health projects we took the
opportunity to query an older set of kids (age 12-13). We found what most
who research this area find, and what most programs continue to ignore.
For lower income communities there is little appropriate programming
available for kids in the 7-16 age group. Not only are they left "in
limbo", it would appear that the good work of earlier programs is 'at
risk' during those years. These, kids then arrive at 'young adult'
education and training programs poorly equiped, poorly motivated and with
not the best of attitudes.

When we asked them what should be done, they of course listed the things
they would like to have in the way of programs. They also said that they
were fully aware of the financial constraints that agencies and schools
faced and their suggestion was that they would like to be part of the
solution, not just the problem to be addressed. They said they already
babysit for their younger brothers and sisters, so why not incorporate
that into programs where (a) part of what they do is child care, and (b)
programs for them involve using them in planning and program delivery.
They also said that they were most responsive to health information when
it was delivered by those just a tad older than themselves.

What does this suggest for health promotion? It suggests that we take a
closer look at a older answer. Rather than asking how we should package
material for them, or what it is they should access, we should be asking
how to involve them in both the use and the production of the on-line
health promotion materials available for themselves, available for those
younger than them (as curricular material, etc.), and for their families
for good parenting -and good 'siblinging'(!).

When I look at families who (for mainly economic reasons) live with
survival as a daily requisite in their lives, older children are both a
source of support (eg. babysitting) and a source of stress (meeting their
needs and dealing with their socialization). When we look at the older
kids (age 10-14+) we should use a 'strengths' rather than a 'needs'
approach. They want to be part of the solution. A smart health promotion
strategy at that level would involve them as partners in the production
and diffusion of information, not just as consumers.

There are pockets of this occuring across Canada, and elsewhere. Some of
that work (eg. re: tobacco demand reduction) has made it to CLICK4HP. Keep
it coming. Some of us believe that involving kids in on-line health
promotion activities, as producers, is one way to carry the good works of
early childhood development through the difficult teen and pre-teen years
and set the stage for better health and wellness in Canada's future.
---> Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]> York Centre for Health Studies