From:
Sherrie Tingley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 00:09:51 -0400
On Health Promotion on the Internet, Brian
Hyndman[SMTP:[log in to unmask]] wrote:
> OPHA has joined the ranks of organizations expressing
> concern about the Ontario government's removal of the
> supplementary nutrition benefit.

Wonderful letter Brian, thank you!

I had an opportunity today to attend the throne speech as a very pregnant
women with 4 other very pregnant women, we also were invited to Hillary
Weston's reception afterwards where I had an opportunity to talk with Frank
Klees, MPP, who is the Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Community
& Social Services.

Mr Klees made it very clear to me that they removal of benefit would not
effect the health of pregnant women in fact he assured me that any women
with a "prescription" for an increased benefit would get it and no problem
if it was above the original $37.

Historically it has almost been impossible for people to access the special
diet component of the welfare program (even diabetics were rarely allowed
an allowance).

Last year we had a murder of a doctor and then suicide of a welfare
recipient who was not given a doctors certificate for an increased benefit.
 At the time the OMA stated that they did not want to be put in the
position of being gatekeepers to people's benefits.  Exactly what Mr. Klees
is proposing.

I would like to proposed that OPHA take a leadership role in pulling
together immediately  a coalition of the OMA (or OB/GYN), Dietitians,
Midwives, the Charter Committee on Poverty Issues (who were very involved
in pulling together the evidence in the welfare cuts case), the Ontario
Social Safety Net, and some recipients and develop a "Prescription" for
pregnant women.  This should be done in time for the change, May 1st.  Or
aim for May 15th so that women can get it by June first when the government
accepts it.   With your access to resources, this should not be a problem.

It is reasonable, it is logical, it makes sense, if the government will not
implement this prescription then it will still be a resource to the health
community.  I did get Mr. Klees to agree that other health care system
workers could also give out this "prescription"

--
Sherrie Tingley