From:
Tracey Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 16:27:36 -0400
I'm very pleased to see all the letters being written to Mr. Harris.
Another worthwhile cause is the Tobacco OR Kids campaign launched last
week.  This national campaign provided the Federal Government with
suggestions for regulations to provide "teeth" to the Tobacco Act in order
to prevent kids from smoking.

They encourage you to write to your MP and cc Allan Rock and the Prime
Minister.  See my quick e-mail below.  Remember, with this type of
advocacy, volume counts!  So even a quick e-mail is helpful.

Regards,

Tracey

++++++
I am writing regarding the recent "Tobacco OR Kids" campaign launched last
week asking the federal government to adopt tough Tobacco Act regulations
and to take other steps to protect children from the industry.

The steps outlined in this package are essential to give the Tobacco Act
the needed support to reduce youth smoking in Canada.  Smoking by Canadian
youth has been rising for four years now, and it is time the Federal
Government took aggressive action in order to prevent the inevitable
illness and death that will be incurred by the next generation if they
begin smoking.

Please support these measures, and help avert a public health crisis with
immense health and economic costs in Canada.

Sincerely,

Tracey Taylor
Tracey Taylor
Program Manager, Healthy Lifestyles Branch
Healthy Lifestyles Branch, Regional Public Health Department
P.O. Box 897, Hamilton, ON  L8N 3P6
p (905) 546-3573  f (905) 546-4075      [log in to unmask]
*The content expressed in this posting represents the opinion of the
author, and does not necessarily reflect the official position of the
Public Health Department.