From:
Harvey Skinner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 1996 12:09:01 -0400
Dennis:  I am disturbed by what you imply is REALY (your all caps) health
promotion, and what is not 'REAL'.

Defining the boundaries of health promotion is much needed. However, I would
have thought that health  behaviour change ( wellness as well as risk focused)
at the individual level is still a core component.

As you know, I frame individual behaviour change within a  context of expanding
levels of influence:family/friends, groups, organizations, communities,
societies.

The key principle is 'reciprocal determinism': ie. the person influenced by a
context and the context influenced by a person.

Maybe I  have it all wrong about what is and what is not REAL. In that case, I
will have to turn in my health promotion card.

Harvey.

      Harvey A. Skinner   PhD
          Professor and Chair
               Department of Behavioural Science
          Acting Chair
               Department of Preventive Medicine and Biostatistics
          Acting Chair
               Graduate Department of Community Health
          Faculty of Medicine, McMurrich Building
          University of Toronto