From:
Shelley Cleverly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 1996 14:30:34 -0500
Hello Allison and Fellow Listserve Members:

Personally, I am NOT interested in receiving
advertisements in my e-mail.  Frankly they frost me,
especially when the subject line is enticing; and then
on reading the message I find the advertisement...

However, the organizing/advocacy possibilities of
CLICK4HP appeal to me greatly.  Often in my life, I
feel there is not enough time to support causes, or
have my voice heard on a particular matter (such as
saving the CBC, or anti-Harris work such as the recent
Days of Action).  I, as much as time and energy and
other resources permit, try to 'walk my talk' and
learn about strategies for health promotion, and I
really appreciate a quick and easy e-mail message that
lets me do these things.  Of course, I won't advocate
for everything that comes my way; each item has to be
put through my 'values filter'.

And, when I pass advocacy items along to others, I
prefer to select from my e-mail address book, a
customized list of recipients (these are people I know
would be interested, supportive - in some case people
have thanked me for passing an advocacy opportunity on
to them.

No matter the medium, customizing our advocacy
strategies to fit the recipients is difficult.  The
problem is always that in trying to reach the people
who want to be reached, we'll also reach (and perhaps
offend) some people who don't want to be reached.  Is
there a solution?  Would it be possible to, in some
way, sort out who gets what so that both types of
people are served?

What do others think?

Shelley Cleverly

On Thu, 31 Oct 1996 11:17:00 -0500 Stirling, Alison
wrote:

*******
> A comment from "a participant".
> >I feel that CLICK4HP listserv should be used as an
international source of
> >networking, support and as a resource for a
professional group of people
> >working within the context of health promotion.
Sort of an international
> >group of colleagues in a cyber-workplace.  Seeing
that I'm working
> >independently now, I really value the opportunity
to bounce ideas off of
> >colleagues from all over the world, and get help
with work I am doing.

> The co-facilitators for this list have received some
comments supporting the
> September 11th "Working Guidelines for Posting"
(which focused on
> advertising products and general suggestions for
posting).  An equal number
> of comments have come in that they need to be
expanded, regularly published
> and include guidelines on content and appropriate
uses of the list.

> There have been concerns expressed about the nature
of some of the postings
> that have occurred on CLICK4HP. The concerns are
that some postings are
> using this list as a vehicle for local organizing
and advocacy.

>      ****An International Resource****
> As this is an *international* e-mail list, we need
to consider carefully
> which issues should be posted broadly, and in great
detail, and which ones
> should not be posted at all. We are all our own
information filters. Using
> brief announcements (five lines at most) to ask
people to contact individual
> members of CLICK4HP to follow-up on local issues is
very appropriate. In
> most cases there are a number of other list-servs
and electronic
>  conferences that are directed to advocacy and
political action in your
> local areas. Pointers or references to these efforts
could be included if

Promotion****
> The value of collective space is to benefit from
each individual's
> perspective in a way which helps to contribute to
our collective wisdom.
> Diversionary postings as part of wide broadcasts
fail to accomplish this.

> This list is also about discussing the "how to's" in
health promotion.
> We believe the list would be better used to discuss
*how* to use advocacy in
> health promotion.  There was an example of this type
of posting in early
> October with the query on "policies on political
advocacy" and how
> organizations had developed them.
>
> Another comment sent to the facilitators
> >Perhaps a parallel example is helpful; for
instance, discussing health
> >education as a health promotion strategy is a
reasonable topic for the
> >listserv, however, using the listserv to do health
education is not.  Both
> >health education and political action are health
promotion strategies.  But
> >there is a big difference between discussing how to
employ these strategies
> >and actually using the listserv as a vehicle to do
them in.

> Our question  to subscribers is whether participants
should be discouraged
> from engaging in education or advocacy on CLICK4HP?
>
> And, a repeat of the final notes in the "Working
Guidelines for Posting"

and Personal Conduct****
> Demonstrate respect for the ideas of others in your
replies even if you do
> not agree. Debate and discussion are welcome and
encouraged. Do not send
> email when angry or upset.
>
> When attempting humour or sarcasm always clearly
indicate this with the use
> of an emoticon such as :-) or ;-) commonly referred
to as smilies.

> One last thought:
> As we make the transition to online health promotion
work ,new participants
> will join and need opportunities to learn and become
oriented in the online
> workspace. CLICK4HP's online facilitators are here
to provide assistance and
> orientation, and to animate discussion and debate.
When in doubt you can
> always contact one of us for advice, or with
suggestions. If you have
> problems with your subscription options, please
contact one of the