Sender:
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 1994 22:58:57 EST
              ONE ANGEL VERSES SEVEN DEVILS

>From Paris, in January of 1787, Thomas Jefferson wrote to his friend
Edward Carrington:
      "...The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people,
the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to
me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or
newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to
prefer the latter.  But I should mean that every man should receive
those papers, and be capable of reading them.  I am convinced that
those societies (as the Indians) which live without government, enjoy
in their general mass an infinitely greater degree of happiness than
those who live under the European governments.  Among the former,
public opinion is in the place of law, and restrains morals as
powerfully as laws ever did anywhere..."

In April of 1908, the District-Attorney of the County of New York,