From:
John Bird <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 1996 23:42:04 UT
Thanks for posting this.  I must say I'm really impressed with the literary
criticism by Sister Souljah (not to mention by Vic Doyno and others,
academics
I know and expect to be incisive).  Sister Souljah is just a name to me from
the 92 presidential campaign.  All I know is she's a rapper then-candidate
Clinton attacked.  But she sure made some insightful comments here.  One
bone
to pick:  Jim is never ever named "Nigger Jim" in the novel.  That's a name
readers gave him.  (Like Hemingway in his famous comment.)  Huck might say,
"This is my nigger, Jim," but nobody in the book calls him "Nigger Jim."
I've
threatened the editor of the _Norton Anthology of American Literature_ that
I'll stop using the book if they don't get rid of this in the next edition.
Yeah, I'm a little goofy on this, but I think it's an important point.
Anyway, thanks for taking the trouble to share this with us.