From:
David Caswell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 27 Jul 1996 20:53:19 +0000
Thank you for your remarks, and your "note of reality".  As you are
obviously aware, the discussion of banning this book has gone on since
its initial publication.  Of course the Department of Education would
ban this book it the people would stand for it...the DOE, like any
government agency will do anything that will allow it to presume
authority.  The world literary community would, of course, scoff at
such an effort.  I, too, have taught this book for more than twenty
years, on both the high school and college level.  Every year this
discussion has arisen, and every year we have all had a good laugh and
gotten on with our work.