From:
[log in to unmask] (Claudio Sardoni)
Date:
===================== HES POSTING ====================

I don't think Michael missed my point. Rather, he gave the expected
response from somebody who believes that Marxism as a whole is a viable
theoretical approach to understand economic and social dynamics. To this my
response is that your arguments, though sometimes useful, do not take
account of a fundamental aspect. Marx wanted to construct a scientific
theory of society. For this he needed a rigorous theory of labor value, and
a rigorous theory of wages. Very general observations on the standard of
living, the abstract nature of labor, etc. etc., though interesting and
maybe innovative, did not suffice. To his purpose there must be a strict,
rigorous and identifiable link between the quantity of embodied labor and
relative prices. I don't think Marxists today can escape all this and
pretend that a coherent solution of Marx's difficulty doesn't have any
implication for them.

Claudio Sardoni