From:
[log in to unmask] (Michael Williams)
Date:
======================= HES POSTING =================

Tony wrote:
> I would like to put on record that I did not make the suggestion that
> seems to be attributed to me here. In the posting concerned, I said
> nothing about continuing work in the Marxist tradition. I have said a
> fair bit about it elsewhere, but I wouldn't want it to be summarized in
> such simple and dismissive terms. My remarks were about Marx himself,
> not his successors, and were directed only to the question of the
> consistency of Marx's wage theory. In my view, Marx's definition of the
> value of labour power in terms of subsistence requirements (with a
> 'historical and moral element'), which plays a fundamental role in his
> theory of surplus value, is inconsistent with, or at least not based on
> or connected to, what he himself said elsewhere about the way in which
> wages are actually determined. That is a judgement about the history of
> economics, not about modern work of any description.

As to the implications of what Tony originally said, I unreservedly
apologize for grossly overstating anything that could be inferred
from it about modern Marxist scholarship. I certainly did not
intend to be 'dismissive'. I did have in mind some of his published
work on the subject, that is, as Tony points out, not reducible to
any such simple sweeping assertion as that which I made.

As to Marx's own work, I have already indicated that I cannot see the
incompatibility between the two aspects of M.'s theory of wages to
which Tony has drawn attention. No doubt we can develop this after
Tony's up-coming editorial.

Finally, in Tony's original post from which this thread branched off,
I do seem to remember some phrase about the implications for *all*
'surplus' approaches if Tony's critique of Marx's (and in as much as
they share the same problems) the Classicals' theory of wages are
valid  ... ?

Dr Michael Williams
Department of Economics
School of Social Sciences