From:
[log in to unmask] (Michael Williams)
Date:
====================== HES POSTING ===================

Chas Anderson wrote:
> Would you mind naming some "of the most prominent mainstream economists"
> who are bemoaning the current state of economics? I find that individuals
> who write these types of works are usually those who have unsuccessfully
> struggled with the discipline and have turned to non-rigorous approaches to
> economics, such as offered by political or socio-economic tracts.

I have sent Neil a raft of references of economists'
criticisms of economics - so Chas is really asking for the answer
before the work is done.  I hope that Neil will set up the web site
he mooted to display the collated results of responses to his query.

But just off the top of my head, and in no order of eminence,
vintage, school or anything else, I would name JR Hicks, Robert
Clower, Mark Blaug, W Leontief, Frank Hahn, Kenneth Arrow, M Allais,
RJ Auman, William Baumol, Ken Binmore, Ken Boulding, Daniel Hausman,
David Kreps, E Leamer, a range of Austrians, P. Mirowski, Ron Smith,
M. Pesaran, A Nelson, A Rubinstein, H Simon, Robert Solow, ... .
Pending the coming of Neil's hoped for web site, Chas could
peruse the short offerings of the contributors to the *Economic
Journal*'s centennial issue (100, 1991), who were asked to speculate
about the state and future of the discipline.

I'm not sure if Chas means to imply that those who are
fundamentally critical of mainstream economics necessarily abandon
it? If so that would need some substantiation. Or does he want
to say just that those who do so thereby abandon 'rigour'?
Even if that term is, quite illegitimately, confined to mathematical
formalization, we need some indication of the evidence to support
the claim, beyond Chas' general testimony. Counter-examples exist in
many of the papers in heterodox Journals. A name that comes
immediately to mind is Duncan Foley, perhaps the leading US Marxian
economist. Since mathematical modelling is neither a necessary nor a
sufficient condition for careful, logically and empirically sound -
ie rigorous - work, substantiation of a charge of general lack of
rigour outside orthodoxy would require familiarization with some
other methodologies, and lots of examples.

To get the debate going, Chas, could you come up with
an indicative list of those

>individuals
> who write these types of works [who] are usually those who have
> unsuccessfully struggled with the discipline and have turned to
> non-rigorous approaches to economics, such as offered by political
> or socio-economic tracts.?

Dr Michael Williams
Department of Economics, School of Social Sciences
De Montfort University