From:
[log in to unmask] (Anthony Brewer)
Date:
===================== HES POSTING ====================

Oh dear. My fairly light comment on an ongoing discussion has drawn a
massive reproof from Michael Williams. I overstated. I am sorry. I
wanted to argue that not all criticisms are of equal weight, and that
assembling names from a period of decades doesn't prove much. That's
all.

What I do want to repeat, because I think it is true, is that 25 years
ago or so there was real dissatisfaction from people at the peak of
their careers, who were very widely listened to. There was a real
malaise. I don't think that is true now. The change is a significant
historical phenomenon. Then, macro was falling to bits (monetarists v
Keynesians) and significant prestige attached to a very sterile form of
GE theory. Now, information economics and the like plus empirical work
with large datasets is giving economists lots of interesting work to do
(note - I didn't pass judgement on its merits, just that it is fun to
do).

Tony Brewer ([log in to unmask])
University of Bristol, Department of Economics