From:
[log in to unmask] (Paul Wendt (NC))
Date:
====================== HES POSTING ===================

New AJES Editor

Congratulations to Laurence S. Moss, the new editor-in-chief of The
American Journal of Economics and Sociology.  With recent HES President
Moss at AJES, intellectual historians and historians of economics are
fortunate to have another important outlet for their wares.

Larry plans several innovations for AJES.  See his essay in the July 1997
issue, pages 257-261.  The July issue also contains articles on Frank H.
Knight by William S. Kern and on Adolph Lowe by Ingrid Rima.  Larry plans
to expand AJES' scope to include North American intellectual history in
economics, sociology, law and political science.  He hopes to live up to
the journal title and offer an outlet for the best articles on that ragged
edge between the discipline of economics and sociology:

    In some important ways, we understand the conceptual foundations of
    our own society better when we study what the best minds in our past
    had to say about these developments.  The AJES has a long and
    distinguished history of publishing papers in the history of economic
    and social thought.  Of special interest as we approach the end of
    this millennium are the unique characteristics of the North American
    economic and social literature . . . . [Moss p260]

A Special Issue is planned for the October number each year:

    This year we take stock of Henry George's legacy because it is the
    100th anniversary of his death.  To this end the October 1997 issue of
    the AJES will be entirely devoted to Henry George's contribution,
    featuring more than a dozen original articles on George, including
    both new historical evaluations of George and the labor movement and
    articles by University economists who claim that their research has
    been shaped in some ways by George's economic approach. [Moss p259]

The special issue for October 1998 will be "Money, Speculation, Trust, and
Social Justice".  Anyone interested should contact:

    Professor Laurence S. Moss
    Economics
    Babson College
    Babson Park, MA 02157