From:
[log in to unmask] (Ross B. Emmett)
Date:
==================== HES POSTING ====================

1998 marks the 200th anniversary of _An Essay on the Principle of
Population_, by T. Robert Malthus (in fact, I believe the Essay was
published in June 1798!) and the 150th anniversary of _The Communist
Manifesto_, by Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels.

To celebrate these publications, I would like to devote the fall "guest
editorials" on the HES list to short essays on Malthus and Marx. In
particular, I would be interested in editorials on the following topics,
although others can certainly be proposed:

Reconsidering Malthus' place in the history of economics

_The Communist Manifesto_ in the history of economics

_The Communist Manifesto_ today

The relation between Malthus and Marx

Malthus and evolutionary economics

If a schedule of editorials on Marx and Malthus can be arranged, I will
post the schedule on the list so that those teaching the history of
economic thought in the fall can consider making use of the editorials in
their courses.

If you are interested in providing a guest editorial on one of these
topics (or know someone I can approach about one of these topics) or
want to propose another editorial related to Marx and Malthus, please
contact Ross Emmett ([log in to unmask]). Guest editorials appear on
the HES list approximately once a month during the North American academic
year, and and are archived on the HES web site. The expected length of a
guest editorial is 1000 words, although several editorials have come
closer to 1500 words.

Ross B. Emmett
Manager, Electronic Information, History of Economics Society
Augustana University College
e-mail: [log in to unmask]