From:
[log in to unmask] (Ross B. Emmett)
Date:
Forwarded from HOPOS-l by Ross B. Emmett.

                      *************************
                      *    MEPHISTOS  1996    *
                      *************************

               GRADUATE STUDENT CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT
                           CALL for PAPERS

        MEPHISTOS 1996,  the 15th Annual Graduate Student Conference in
the Philosophy, History, and Sociology of Science, Technology, and
Medicine, and related fields, welcomes your abstracts and registrations.

                    -----> VITAL INFORMATION <----
| * February 23 to 25, 1996                                             |
| * University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada                     |
| * Registration fee: $15 Canadian/$12 US - make check out to Mephistos |
| * 1-page Abstracts due December 15, 1995 (20 minute papers)           |
| * Contact: [log in to unmask]   (Ken Meiklejohn)               |

          Visit our Web page for complete information, and session
                   information as it becomes available:

           |   http://www.epas.utoronto.ca:8080/~mephisto    |

   MEPHISTOS was created for and designed by graduate students in order to
provide a forum for fostering communication between grad students at
different universities, and to offer a chance for lively interchange
between those involved in the fields of Science Studies, broadly defined.
In particular, the conference offers a stress-free environment in which to
present research and discuss topics and trends in the field.  We strongly
encourage students working in other non-HPS departments whose work touches
on areas in science studies to come and present their work in this
context.

   Since we want to make this event ACCESSIBLE to graduate students on
limited budgets, we will provide as many people as possible with FREE
lodging on the couches, etc., of area graduate students.  This limited
space is on a first-come, first-served basis, with those giving papers
receiving priority.  There are some inexpensive rooms reserved in
graduate housing (~$30 a night) and we will offer a list of area lodging
upon request.  Travel information is also available upon request, and we
will also attempt to provide coordinated carpool contacts to those driving
along the same route, if registrations are received early enough.
1    Funds permitting, travel subsidies which may become available will be
issued on the basis of the order in which we receive your registration
fee.

                    -----> TO REGISTER <----
| * Send your name, institutional affiliation, address (EMAIL and POST),|
|   phone number, abstract (if presenting), and whether you want info   |
|   on housing and travel by      December 15, 1995 (if presenting)     |
|                      or by      January  20, 1996|(if only attending) |
|   to:                                                                 |
|     or                                                                |
|          MEPHISTOS 96                                                 |
|          c/o  IHPST - 316 Victoria College                            |
|          73 Queen`s Park Crescent East                                |
|          University of Toronto                                        |
|          Toronto, Ontario  M5S 1K7  CANADA                            |
| *  Your $15/$12 check will confirm your place on the program          |