From:
[log in to unmask] (E. Roy Weintraub)
Date:
================= HES POSTING =================

What defines a legitimate contribution to the subdiscipline `The History
 of Economics'?

In late twentieth-century departments of economics, all individuals who
resort on occasion to modes of argument which employ historical devices
or who in their work quote or comment on Keynes, Marx, Veblen, et
al., are regarded by their economics departmental colleagues as de facto
historians of economics; sometimes even those individuals believe
themselves to be historians of economics if they quote or comment upon
Keynes, Marx, Veblen, et al.

I submit that such individuals should not be so regarded, and that
their work, however valuable as economics, does not constitute
a legitimate contribution to the history of economics.

In her 1992 HOPE essay "Breaking Away," Margaret Schabas
wrote "there is now, however, an entire generation of professional
economists who have probably never read Marshall or Keynes, and who
probably only have a superficial understanding of either the
history of economics or economic history. This suggests that economists,
at least in the United States, are now no more likely to develop historical
intuitions than physicists or physiologists. In short, the umbilical cord
has been broken.  Economists, by insisting on technical progress, have
lost the means to think historically and thus will no longer cultivate an
affinity for the history of economics, or at least a non-Whiggish history
of economics. Historians of economics must someday come to terms
with this conceptual barrier.  As I see it, they might as well break
away and form an alliance with historians of science." (page 197)

Yet whether or not the community of historians of economics breaks
away from the community of economists to seek a home, as the
historians of physics have, within departments of history or history
of science programs, the standards by which a piece of work in the
history of economics must be judged are the standards by which a
piece of work in the history of physics should be judged or by which
a piece of work in the history of molecular biology should be judged:
specifically, the standards are those employed by professional
historians to evaluate and appraise historical writing.  In order to
graduate with a doctoral degree from a recognized history program,
one must demonstrate in the written work a command of the research
skills of an historian, and the craft to write, that is to interpret, the
various primary and secondary sources.

As Ted Porter noted, in his comment on Schabas's piece:  "[T]echnical
history, after all, has often served an apologetic function.  This, I must
emphasize, is by now greatly attenuated in historical studies of natural
science.  I regret to add that history as legitimation is still very strong in
the history of economics.  And this, I think, may be the decisive reason
why historical work on recent economics has made so little impression
on a generation of historians who insist on their autonomy from science.
Unfortunately, many historians of economics are so completely
socialized as economists, and so little as historians, that the genre
of historical study is not fully distinct from that of the review essay.
The review essay surveys a field and assigns credit, almost always on
the assumption that knowledge is steadily progressing.  Far too much
history of economics, still, aims to extend the review back twenty
or fifty years by presenting the ideas of the economist on some
modern question.  The precursor, long dismissed as a category
mistake in history of science, is still alive and well in economics,
and this is almost inevitable so long as history of economics is written
to meet the standards and presuppositions of ahistorical economists."
(page 235)

It is not as if the perspective I urge is alien to economists, for it is
precisely the model that has been established in the subdiscipline of
economic history.  That is, many economic historians hold joint
appointments in departments of economics and departments of history.
Sometimes economic historians have their primary affiliation with
history departments. Nonetheless, the standards for writing and
publishing and professional acceptance in the discipline of economic
history are different from the standards of the subdisciplines of labor
economics or international trade, or economic demography, or Post
Keynesian economics.

Informed by the historians' notions of evidence and modes of employing
evidence in argument, for economic historians the standards of
scholarship conform to historians' ideas of research, researchability,
and rhetoric which employ those research results in the construction
of argument.  And I observe that Robert Fogel, Gavin Wright, and
Robert Gallman have a position within the field of American history
which appears not to not tarnish their standing within the economics
profession.

I retain the hope that over time writing and research in the history
of economic thought will approach the standards of historical writing
in the history of physics or the history of mathematics or the history
of medicine, for I believe that only then will the interests of economists
be engaged by the history of their discipline, and their discipline's ideas,
in the same respectful way that physicists and mathematicians purchase
and read histories of physics and mathematics.  Thus I look forward to
a time when as many economists have read Groenewegen's biography
of Alfred Marshall, or Ingrao and Israel's history of equilibrium
theory as physicists have read Westfall's biography of Newton,
or statisticians have read Stigler's history of statistics, or biologists
have read Judson's history of molecular biology.

E. Roy Weintraub, Professor of Economics
Director, Center for Social and Historical Studies of Science
Duke University, Box 90097
Durham, North Carolina 27708-0097

Phone and voicemail: (919) 660-1838
Fax: (919) 684-8974