From:
[log in to unmask] (Greg Ransom)
Date:
================= HES POSTING =================

Roy's provocative editorial speaks of his dream of the time when
'economists' [implicitly the mathematical and quantitative power structure
in the discipline] will purchase and read histories of economics in the
same way that physicists and mathematicians purchase and read histories of
physics and mathematics.  He then mentions two books in the history of
economic thought, one a biography and the other Ingrao and Israel's _The
Invisible Hand_.  This latter book is an interesting choice, because the
book is explicitly a _critical_ history, one that takes a stand [a negative
one] on a significant research tradition in economics.  One wonders if this
is really the sort of thing that physicists and mathematicians look for
when they purchase and read histories in physics and mathematics -- say
_critical_ histories of quantum mechanics or topology which take an
evaluative negative stand on the achievements of these research programs in
physics and mathematics.  I wonder if physicists or mathematicians would
really take seriously or be interested in such things -- just as you do not
find Darwinian biologists [naturalists, paleontologists, population
biologists, etc.] who take very seriously or find much interest in books by
professionally trained historians or even biologists which preport to give
critical histories of Darwinian biology which arrive as a negative
evaluative assessment of the Darwinian research program -- in fact, much of
the outstanding history of biology produced by top-flight Darwinian
biologists was provoked in part by, and takes much glee in exposing the
mistakes, confusions, and inadequacies in histories preporting to have
competently arrived at such negative assessments.  But I take it, from
Roy's recommendation of the Ingrao and Israel book, that he does think that
this is a book that is both of interest and worth taking seriously.  On the
fly leaf of my copy of the Ingrao and Israel book, toward the end of the
last paragraph explaining the contents of the book, it read, "Ingrao
and Israel find that the theory has arrived at a dead end, which raises
serious doubts about the internal consistency of the basic model." Point me
to a book in the history of physics or mathematics [not the philosophy of
physics or the philosophy of mathematics] which is purchased and read by
physicists or mathematicians which does, as part of its work, this sort of
criticism and evaluation -- I myself can't think of any, off hand.  The
closest that comes to mind is the sort of journalistic reportage of the
contemporary 'theory of everything' -- but these works, even by top-ranked
physicists are reports of research taking place elsewhere, whereas, in
Ingrao and Israel, you have the original research and analysis taking place
right before your eyes (in parallel to research articles published alone).

Greg Ransom
Dept. of Philosophy
UC-Riverside
http://members.gnn.com/logosapien/ransom.htm