From:
[log in to unmask] (Robert Leeson)
Date:
================= HES POSTING =================

Brad:

I am fascinated by your reference to George Stigler's "tired old Whig
history".
I see in his work some remarkably perceptive sociology of knowledge, well
before Kuhn popularised that type of thinking. His humour, his determination
and his understanding of the weakenesses and tendencies of his
formalist-Keynesian-Chamberlin opponents reveal a mind that saw ANYTHING BUT
Whiggish outcomes.  Friedman and Stigler (amateur and
professional) were self-consciously revolutionary in their understanding of
the
process of knowledge construction and destruction.  Or have I misunderstood
your point?

Robert Leeson
University of Western Ontario