From:
[log in to unmask] (Bradley W. Bateman)
Date:
================= HES POSTING =================

Robert Leeson,

Yes, I think that Stigler and Friedman were/are both
very aware of how to shape their theoretical arguments
so as to make a maximum of impact.

But my reference is to Stigler's considerable output of essays
about the history of thought. Among his gems are the argument
that biography has no value in understanding the work of an
economist and that the history of economic thought has no value
to contemporary economists unless it is written so as to
cast light on some contemporary theoretical dispute.

I learned a few years before his death that he meant what he
said in these admonitions to do high Whig history. There was
an article in JPE that absolutely mangled Keynes's and Knight's
ideas on probability. I wrote a careful response with citations
to show that this was the case. Stigler wrote back and said,
"You're right...but I don't care." He was at least polite
enough to return my submission fee. After all, if he wasn't
going to consider anything but Whig writing, why should he
charge people for the privilege to find out?

I agree that Stigler occasionally has a bon mot in one of his essays
and sometimes a good historical insight. But in general I take his
imperious attitude history (other than Whig history) to have been
a bad influence on the field.

Brad Bateman
Department of Economics
Grinnell College