From:
[log in to unmask] (John Dodge)
Date:
================= HES POSTING =================

Greetings to all,

I'm interested in history of thought, but not an expert, so I listen and
contribute rarely.  Here it goes ...

I took my degree at the University of Wisconsin in 1981.  There was no
requirement for history of thought, economic history, or institutional
economics (while Wisconsin was home of institutionalism for years!).  My
field was industrial organization, and I had the chance to read some of
Stigler's work for my dissertation research.

Again, as a non-historian of thought, here are some impressions.  It seems
to me that Chicago economists generally, and Stigler is included, have
pursued a policy agenda, and used economic methodology as support for that
agenda. The kinked demand curve is a clear example of that. IF the kinked
demand curve is valid, THEN prices are not perfectly flexible, AND some
sort of government involvement (even minimal Keynesian demand stimulation)
can be justified.  BECAUSE we don't like the policy implications, THEREFORE
we reject the model.  Again, it's my impression that this is so.

Drawing from a book which I am using to prepare for my current I.O. section
consider this:  "The central view of Chicago school microeconomic analysis
is that the model of competitive markets in long-run equilibrium is
sufficient to explain real-world phenomena.  ...  In most scientific
endeavors, it is usual to confront theory with evidence. The Chicago school
reverses this methodology, and confronts evidence with theory."  Stephen
Martin, _Advanced Industrial Economics_, Blackwell Publishers, 1993, pp.
9-10.

This posting may set off a flurry of responses from Chicago (and other)
types.  We'll see.

John Dodge

***PostScript from the moderator: Some of the discussion has moved away
from the editorial and towards Stigler. I'm starting a new thread for these
discussions (under HES: DISC: Stigler) and won't archive them on the
editorial site any longer. Discussions that do refer to the issues
addressed in the editorial will continue to be archived at:

http://cs.muohio.edu/~HisEcSoc/Resources/Editorials/Weintraub.

As you probably know, all HES messages are archived at:

http://cs.muohio.edu/Archives/hes/.

The HES editorial team is working on the problem that the archiving program
stopped recognizing treads. --Esther-Mirjam Sent***