From:
[log in to unmask] (Bradley W Bateman)
Date:
================= HES POSTING =================

Robin,

I don't think that there is a question in the discussions
about Stigler (that have spun out from Roy's editorial) of
whether Stigler had theoretical or ideological biases. I
certainly don't want to impune him for that; as you say, we
all have biases. My point was a different one: I believe that
Stigler advocated that we do a poor kind of history (Whiggish
rational reconstructions), that he used his influence to squash
histories that weren't written to his standard, and that his
own histories were great examples of the Whig genre.

The bias to bad historiography is present in neo-classicals,
Marxists, Post-Keynesians, and any other school of thought
I can think of. My point has been to talk about historiographic
bias, not theoretical or ideological bias.

Brad Bateman
Grinnell College