From:
[log in to unmask] (Ross B. Emmett)
Date:
================= HES POSTING =================

I have waited to enter the discussion about Stigler because I wanted the
few extra minutes that a weekend affords to put my ideas together clearly.
So I'm sorry if this comes a bit late.

Brad has made it clear that his comments regarding Stigler were focused on
Stigler's "bad history"; and Robert has identified how Stigler used his
sociology of knowledge to good effect in the Chicago/Cambridge dispute.
Both seem to have agreed that they were talking about two different things.
I disagree.

I want to argue that Stigler's sociology of knowledge was an integral part
of his historiography, and is responsible for what Brad identifies as his
"bad history."

In the context of his discussion of J.S. Mill, Stigler remarks that the
meaning of a dead economist's text is not determined by what the dead
economist intended to say, but rather by the community of economists who
read and use the dead economist's text. Those familiar with contemporary
"reader-response" literary theory may be surprised that Stigler's remark
was made in the 1960s, well before Fish and others popularized the notion
that interpretative communities are the only carriers of meaning for a text.

In Stigler's case, however, the openness to multiple readings of texts that
contemporary reader-response theory celebrates is rejected in favour of the
notion that a **particular interpretative community** has the right to
exercise authoritative control over the meaning assigned a dead economist's
text. The principle that the scientific community of economics exercises
control over the interpretation of meaning of economist's text is best
articulated in Stigler's essay "Textual Exegesis as a Scientific Problem"