From:
[log in to unmask] (E. Roy Weintraub)
Date:
================= HES POSTING =================

Robert Leeson wrote:

> By formalist revolution, I mean the econometrics movement from the 1930s
> and the simultaneous revival of interest in the Walrasian approach.  Do
> these two developments constitute a revolution?  I think they do, in that
> the leading players self-consciously sought to effect a revolution in
> research methods.
>
> Tinbergen et al sought to uncover the structual equations of capitalism; so
> as to provide a guide for policy makers to alter key magnitudes in order to
> mitigate the business cycle.  Even when the immediate post-war econometric
> forecasts were disastourously wrong, they were still perceived by Klein
> (JPE 1946, 1947) to be vastly superior to the unrigourous "armchair"
> statistics of those (eg the NBER) the revolutionaries sought to replace.
> Thus Keynesian economics rose and fell to the accompaniment of econometric
> failure.
>
> The Walrasians were equally contemptuous of Marshallian economics;
> Marshall's fuzziness had "paralised the best brains in economics for
> decades" according to Samuelson.  For Tobin, Keynesian economics was "a
> short-cut GE approach".
>
> The leading opponents of the formalist revolution were J. M. Keynes and
> Milton Friedman.

I have, per understandings with other members of the HES-LIST advisory
board, refrained from commenting on and participating in the discussion
lest it appear to be a paper, discussion, reply to critics, rejoinder
exercise. Leeson's remarks on formalism, however, are both sufficiently off
the original editorial subject, and sufficiently muddled, to require reply.

First, "revolution" is a word not to be taken lightly. It represents a
large literature in the history of science, and more recently in the
history of mathematics. Leeson's use of it in a forum for historians of
economics needs to attend to its baggage. Unlike humpty dumpty, Leeson
cannot make words mean what he wishes. Similarly for "formalism". The
recent Golland paper in JHET on the subject should alert him to the
problems with the word. Most economists when writing or speaking
colloquially use the word to mean, variously, "mathematical",
"axiomatized", "rigorous", "abstract", "non-empirical", et hoc genus omne.
The idea of formalization however has meant different things, and has had
different interpretations, over the 20th century, and today it has
different meanings in the discipline of philosophy from those in
metamathematics, or mathematics, or the history of matematics, or the
history of science, or economics, or the history of economics, etc.
Whatever it means in one or another disipline, it does not mean
"econometrics" which in most historical reconstructions is antithetical to
the formalist line in mathematics. To call Samuelson either a Walrasian, or
a formalist, is inappropriate;  and it goes against all evidence to argue
that Tinbergen had connections to formalist argumentation.

The connection with the original editorial becomes obvious. Saying anything
one wishes about the history of economics to support a particular view of
present-day economics prevents economists and historians from taking
seriously the scholarly integrity of the subdiscipline of the history of
economics.

E. Roy Weintraub, Professor of Economics
Director, Center for Social and Historical Studies of Science
Duke University, Box 90097
Durham, North Carolina 27708-0097

Phone and voicemail: (919) 660-1838
Fax: (919) 684-8974