From:
[log in to unmask] (GREG RANSOM)
Date:
==================== HES POSTING =====================

What I find odd about Phil's project are (a) his project seems
to leave out of the picture Michael Ghiselin's Darwinian attack on
traditional ecology and (neo-classical style) conceptual realist
'explanatory' efforts in mathematical population genetics; and (b)
his grouping of theorists who provide models of Darwinian fitness
optimization as the 'single scale of utility' with those in the
more properly ecological tradition who who seek to model the flow of
'energy'.  I am not a student of either ecology or the history of
ecology, so perhaps this a failure on my part to identify a standard
identity in the literature.  Reference:  Michael Ghiselin, _The
Economy of Nature and the Evolution of Sex_, Los Angeles:  U. of
California Press, 1974.

Greg Ransom
Dept. of Philosophy
UC-Riverside