From:
[log in to unmask] (Paul Wendt (SAR))
Date:
================== HES POSTING ========================

HESsians----

The Kress Seminar is a Boston regional seminar in HET.  I am coordinator
and I owe the HES web site an updated entry.  For now, here is the current
Notice, which foreshadows the subsequent session too.  I will post the
notices here.  Papers are commonly available by arrangement with the
author, whose e-mail address I intend to include (as below) --never by
arrangement with me.

----Paul

    Paul Wendt, Watertown MA
    coordinator, Kress Seminar in HET (and HES co-editor)

====[here follows the Kress Seminar Notice, Oct 96]

KRESS SEMINAR in the HISTORY OF ECONOMIC THOUGHT
Paul Wendt
64 Riverside St #3
Watertown, MA 02172-2652
    tel: 617-926-8253
    email: [log in to unmask]

Kress seminar participants,

Our next seminar is Thursday, 17 Oct, 7:40-10 pm, in Littauer M16 on the
Harvard University campus.  We feature one paper and discussion panel:

    Joshua Cohen (U Amsterdam and Harvard U)
        "Experiential Utility from Bentham to QALYs"
                                           [Quality-Adjusted Life Years]
    Discussants:
        Howard Raiffa (Harvard U)
        Agnes Miklos-Illes (Yale U)
        Shira Batya Lewin (Harvard U)

JOSH COHEN is completing a PhD in Economics at U Amsterdam, contributing
to the history of quantification in economics with a study that focuses on
economic theory and health care assessment.  He is visiting the History of
Science dept. at Harvard this Fall, as last Fall.  His Kress seminar last
December was cancelled by snow, too late in his visit to be rescheduled.
    The QUALITY-ADJUSTED LIFE YEAR is an aptly-named concept for
quantifying welfare, typically for evaluating environmental or health
policy.  It can be executed in different ways, tied more or less closely
to economics, psychology, medicine, or demands of practical measurement.
In both respects it is a "fellow concept" with Cost-Benefit.
    Here Josh assesses the element of psychological experience in
"utility" --from Bentham to QALYs, as advertised!  He presented a version
of this paper in Edinburgh this summer.  The CURRENT VERSION IS AVAILABLE
pending your arrangement with him <[log in to unmask]>.

Howard Raiffa (Harvard Business School) has been a prominent participant
in the quantification of economic and policy analysis.  Some would call
him "the man introduced economists to decision theory"; others "the man
who invented QALYs."  Agnes Miklos-Illes is working on Otto Neurath and
utilitarianism.  Shira Batya Lewin is the author of an article on utility
in economics and psychology in the current __J of Economic Literature__.

Dinner
    Anyone interested in dinner and conversation before the seminar is
    invited to gather at the Singha House Thai restaurant (1105 Mass. Ave)
    at 6:00.  The food is great, matched only by the company.  The Singha
    House is prepared to handle late additions to a party (to about 6:30
    for dinner or 7:00 for appetizer or drink, given our time constraint).

I hope to see you Thursday,

----Paul         [imagine my signature here:  P/\/\/\/\t ]

    KRESS NEWSLETTER, 9 Oct 96 (this space can be yours; contact me)

Next Kress seminar, 7 Nov
We will meet again in three weeks, the FIRST THURSDAY in November, Nov.
Richard Ebeling (Hillsdale College) will speak on Ludwig von Mises.
Date confirmed but further details to be arranged.

.. . . and then 21 Nov, 12 Dec
The decision to aim for more frequent sessions, one paper, and discussants
is a recent one.  I have several offers of papers under the old format, a
committee to help suggest or recruit discussants, and a backlog of work

[remainder of Newsletter deleted or separately posted]