From:
[log in to unmask] (Paul Wendt (SAR))
Date:
========================== HES POSTING ===============

Kress Seminar
Paul Wendt
64 Riverside St #3
Watertown, MA 02172-2652
    tel: 617-926-8253
    email: [log in to unmask]

Kress seminar participants,

Our next seminar is Thursday, 7 Nov, 7:40-10 pm, in Littauer M16 on the
Harvard University campus.  We feature one paper and two discussants:

    Richard Ebeling (Hillsdale C)
        Expectations and Expectations Formation in Ludwig von Mises's
        Theory of the Market Process

    Discussants:
        Mark Tomass (Babson C)
        Roger Koppl (Fairleigh-Dickinson U)

RICHARD EBELING is now in Russia and is coming back to the states the day
before he travels on to Boston (no paper in advance).  He has an
interesting intrepretation of the Austrian school view of expectations.
He is extremely critical of rational expectations and the like and offers
an opposing point of view.
    While many students of Austrian economics read early Mises and Hayek,
Ebeling puts his finger on several later works by Mises, such as __Theory
and History__ because it represents an advance over the Verstehen school
["understanding"--PW] ideas of the 1920 and also the typological thinking
of Max Weber and others.  How these insights come to be filtered and
altered in Mises's thinking is a genuinely novel and interesting subject
for a lecture.
    For those who do not know Richard Ebeling or his work, what better way
than over good food and conversation?
                                        ---- Laurence Moss, Babson College

Dinner
    Anyone interested in dinner and conversation before the seminar is
    invited to gather at the Singha House Thai restaurant (1105 Mass. Ave)
    at 6:00.  The food is great, matched only by the company.  The Singha
    House is prepared to handle late additions to a party (to about 6:30
    for dinner or 7:00 for appetizer or drink, given our time constraint).

I hope to see you Thursday,

----Paul                    [imagine my signature here, P/\/\/\/\t]

   KRESS NEWSLETTER, 30 Oct 96  (this space may be yours; contact me)

Next session, 21 Nov 96
Yngve Ramstad (URI) will speak on the influence of social psychology and
John Dewey in early 20th century American economics.  Details TBA.

[. . . remainder of newsletter deleted . . .]

----Paul Wendt
    Coordinator, Kress Seminar in HEcTh