From:
[log in to unmask] (Kevin Quinn)
Date:
================= HES POSTING =================

James Henderson's editorial is excellent. I want to share some disquiet,
though, with the apparent implication that work that looks at the "internal
logic of ideas" is ipso facto "Whig History". I hope that the sociologizing
and contextualizing that I agree needs to be done doesn't crowd out good
work that focuses on internal logic. Whiggishness amounts to the practice
of treating all earlier thought as culminating in whatever passes for the
"state of the art" in the analyst's time. It also refers to the way victors
rewrite history to make their own victory appear inevitable, and their
opponents despicable and puny. Generally, whiggish intellectual history,
therefore, does a *bad* job of reconstructing the internal logic of the
ideas it claims to be studying.

For example, despite its lack of sociologizing and contextualizing,
Leijonhufvud's *On Keynesian Economics...* is a brilliant reconstruction of
Keynes (one possible interpretation among many--there is no *single*
internal logic to be found); it is concerned with internal logic, but not
at all whiggish, as I understand the term. I would not want a conception of
what the history of economic thought *should* be that would discourage
future Leijonhufvuds from attempting the sort of thing he attempted. There
are many other examples, of course (how about Mill's *On Bentham and
Coleridge*?), but the one can suffice to make the point, I hope.

Kevin Quinn